Monday, January 21, 2008

confusion

I'm home but I can't sleep here. The luxury of my large apartment is a cross between comfort and overkill. Though I know I don't have to check the bed for spiders and can walk around barefoot without concern of stepping on scorpions, and there is no odor of sewage and I can drink the water right out of the tap, I have my car and my stereo and my space, space, space..... I long to return to the simpler life I was exposed to. In the 36 hours I have been back I have felt so lonely, although I have reunited with several friends and fielded what seems like a hundred phone calls. It is not that I don't feel loved and welcomed by my friends, it is simply that there is a different feel here: the warmth and openness in Guanajuato made me feel as though I were wrapped in a warm blanket, and here I feel isolated somehow.

The brilliant idea of moving back seemed so easy when I was there. The job in Mexico awaits, and I must call my prospective boss today to give my final answer. She says she will help with the work visa and housing, and I knew I wanted it while I was still away - but now, somehow, that little voice whispers in my ear that my life is here in Denver. ARGH! What happened to the freedom and sense of adventure that coursed through my veins while I was down in Mexico!?!? Am I getting scared now that I am back here? Frustrating, because the logic of moving there is quite right; I could be fluent in Spanish in another 4 months, and would do well to live immersed in this culture which I love - as a nurse I will much better serve the Latin and Latin-American population I am drawn to if I do it. What has happened to me? It is as if the American Way has stifled my ideas, for fear of losing what I "have" here. Suddenly ideas like immersion and intercambio and Peace Corps, which were obvious next steps, seem scary; the gamble seems too steep. What has happened?

No comments: